Viewer :)

Saturday 21 August 2010

Chapter 2


“No, no, Mum this is Nick, Nick my Mum.” I left them to make their introductions, I didn’t know where Mum had disappeared to and didn’t really care. It was getting late and Dad would be back soon with Sheryl, I assumed that Nick would be staying for dinner and Mum probably had nowhere else to eat. The fridge really needed to be stocked more often; macaroni and cheese would have to do.



“I’m back!” hollered Dad from the hall. I could hear Sheryl and Dad laughing and Mum hurriedly tip tapping her way across our wooden floor to get to see her. Nick wandered in to help me, “Want me to help with that?” he volunteered. We were both awful chefs but that didn’t matter.


“Sure, will you make the autumn salad for me?”


“I’ll do whatever you want me to.”


We worked in silence preparing our food.


Mum was fully assessing Sheryl and Dad’s relationship the best she could in the hallway from what I could hear of their faded conversation. She’d always been jealous about Dad’s partners. Perhaps writing to her with the information my disease was serious wasn’t such a good idea.


We finished in record time and called the adults through to eat. Mum and Dad weren’t hungry (either that or they had “matters” to discuss) however Sheryl came to join us. “Hey Ella, Nick I didn’t know you were here. Thanks for making the tea you two, I’ll wash up after we’ve ate yeah?”


“Thanks but I’ve really got nothing better to do.”


“Speak for yourself, we’re going to the movies and don’t you dare refuse to!”


“Is that really-“


“Shut up El you’re going if you like it or not, your Dad and I want you to get out more, thanks Nick.”


He smiled. He’d won. The cheese was lumpy and cold in my mouth but nobody complained. After tea I carried out my plate and put it on the draining board. Before I could even attempt at making a start at the washing up Nick came in.

“Come on. The movies.”


“Right.”










The movie was good, we went watching Grown Ups after I complained about the original choice of Eclipse (I liked the twilight saga films but I couldn’t bare another romance). It had been a while since I laughed so hard and my body was aching in the effort but it was a good type of ache.


“Now you can’t say you’d rather have been at home can you?” Nick asked.


“I guess not. Thanks.”


He walked me back to my house. Sheryl had gone home and Mum had disappeared again, this time to the town’s bed and breakfast according to Dad. I was shattered. “Do you mind if I go to sleep? I mean I’ll stay awake and talk if you want.”


“Rest Ella.” Ordered Nick.


When I woke up Nick was still there but asleep on the sofa. He looked so cute there, restful and quiet. I checked the clock, it was two o’clock, his parents probably wouldn’t be worried- their careers kept them very busy so they didn’t really realise if he slept at a mates.


I sat down next to him and considered tickling his toes to wake him up but there was no need. “Oops I fell asleep, sorry.” He apologised. Silly Nick, always apologizing for stupid things.


“You don’t need to be sorry for that, look I’ve got to go to the hospital today but you can come too if you want.” Nick had wanted to be a doctor since he was seven and always enjoyed the visits we made for checkups, he was better at comforting me than Dad who just sad there pulling awkward faces unsure what to say. The most uncomfortable moment must have been the diagnosis; he sat there with tears gleaming in his eyes and not able to speak. I was the one who had to say: “So what are my options then?”


“How long have I been asleep for? I could have sworn it was only five minutes.”


“I’ll go make you a coffee to wake you up yeah?”


“No! You shouldn’t have to, I will.”


“I’m quite capable of pouring a bit of water in with coffee beans Nick.”


“I know you are you know I didn’t mean that but it’s the least I can do.”


“Sorry, err yeah okay.”

I watched him as he poured us the drinks. “Thanks for the drink.” I said as I put the cup to my lips and breathed in the rich smell of coffee beans.

It was hot and burnt my mouth but felt good so I gulped another large mouthful down. He wasn’t drinking his but watching me with careful eyes. I’d never been self conscious around Nick; he was somebody I could just be myself with.


“I can’t go today, I’ll come after yeah?” It took me a while to understand what he meant.


“Oh okay, it was just if you wanted to. After is good.”

1 comment: